Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Differences between Elastomer and Metallic Jaw Coupling Designs
Jaw couplings are available in two primary designs: elastomer jaw couplings and metallic jaw couplings. Each design has its own set of characteristics and advantages:
- Elastomer Jaw Couplings: Elastomer jaw couplings, also known as flexible jaw couplings, feature an elastomeric spider element that sits between the two hubs. This spider element is typically made of materials like polyurethane, rubber, or other flexible polymers. The elastomeric material provides the coupling with flexibility, allowing it to compensate for shaft misalignment, angular, parallel, and axial, as well as dampen vibrations and shocks. Elastomer jaw couplings are popular for their ability to protect connected equipment from mechanical stresses and enhance overall system performance. They are commonly used in applications where some misalignment is expected or in systems with shock loads and vibrations. Additionally, elastomer jaw couplings are known for their relatively lower cost compared to metallic designs.
- Metallic Jaw Couplings: Metallic jaw couplings, also known as rigid jaw couplings, are constructed entirely from metal, usually steel or aluminum. Unlike elastomer couplings, metallic jaw couplings do not have an elastomeric spider element and offer a more rigid connection between the two hubs. As a result, they are less forgiving of misalignment and do not provide the same level of vibration dampening as elastomer couplings. However, metallic jaw couplings offer higher torque capacity and are better suited for applications where precise shaft alignment is critical. They are commonly used in systems that require high torque transmission and minimal torsional flexibility. Additionally, metallic jaw couplings are well-suited for environments with high temperatures or exposure to chemicals, as they can withstand harsher conditions compared to elastomer designs.
The choice between elastomer and metallic jaw couplings depends on the specific requirements of the application. If flexibility, misalignment compensation, and vibration dampening are crucial, elastomer jaw couplings are preferred. On the other hand, when high torque transmission, precise alignment, and durability in challenging environments are needed, metallic jaw couplings are the better option.
Can jaw couplings be used in heavy-duty applications such as mining and construction?
Yes, jaw couplings can be used in heavy-duty applications such as mining and construction, but their suitability depends on various factors. Jaw couplings are commonly employed in a wide range of industrial applications due to their versatility and ability to handle misalignment. However, when considering their usage in heavy-duty environments, several important aspects need to be taken into account:
- Torque and Power Requirements: Heavy-duty applications often involve high torque and power demands. It is crucial to ensure that the selected jaw coupling is rated to handle the specific torque and power levels encountered in the mining and construction machinery. Choosing a coupling with a sufficient torque capacity ensures reliable power transmission without premature failure.
- Material Strength: The materials used in the construction of jaw couplings play a critical role in their ability to withstand heavy-duty applications. Couplings made from robust materials, such as high-strength steel or alloy materials, are better suited for withstanding the demanding conditions found in mining and construction equipment.
- Impact and Shock Resistance: Mining and construction applications involve significant levels of impact and shock loads due to the nature of the work. The jaw coupling must be designed to handle these dynamic loads without compromising its structural integrity. Some jaw couplings feature specially designed elastomers or flexible elements that provide additional shock absorption and reduce the transmitted impact forces.
- Dust and Debris Management: Heavy-duty environments like mining and construction sites often contain high levels of dust, dirt, and debris. These particles can accumulate on the coupling surfaces and lead to premature wear and reduced performance. Selecting jaw couplings with appropriate sealing mechanisms or protective covers can help minimize the ingress of contaminants and extend the coupling’s life in such environments.
- Maintenance and Inspection: Regular maintenance and inspection are crucial in heavy-duty applications to identify any signs of wear, misalignment, or damage to the coupling. Proper maintenance practices can prevent unexpected failures and ensure the equipment operates efficiently and safely.
When considering the use of jaw couplings in heavy-duty applications like mining and construction, it is essential to consult with coupling manufacturers or engineering experts to select the appropriate coupling type and size for the specific application. Some heavy-duty applications might require more specialized coupling designs, such as grid couplings, gear couplings, or disc couplings, which are explicitly engineered for extreme conditions and higher torque capacities. Additionally, following the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for coupling installation, maintenance, and operating parameters is critical to ensure reliable and safe operation in heavy-duty environments.
Selecting the Appropriate Jaw Coupling Size
Choosing the right jaw coupling size for a specific application involves considering several factors:
- Torque Requirements: Determine the maximum torque that the coupling will need to transmit in the application. Make sure to account for any peak or intermittent loads.
- Shaft Diameter: Measure the diameter of the shafts to be connected. The coupling’s bore size should match the shaft diameter for proper fit and secure power transmission.
- Speed: Consider the rotational speed of the application. High-speed applications may require special high-speed jaw couplings.
- Misalignment Compensation: Evaluate the level of misalignment present in the system, including angular, parallel, and axial misalignment. Choose a jaw coupling with appropriate misalignment capabilities to avoid premature wear and failures.
- Environmental Factors: Assess the environmental conditions, such as temperature, humidity, and presence of chemicals or contaminants, as these factors can impact the coupling’s material selection and performance.
- Service Factors: Some applications may have service factors that affect the required torque capacity. Apply service factors as needed to ensure the coupling can handle the application’s demands.
- Space Constraints: Consider the available space for the coupling. Ensure that the selected jaw coupling can fit within the given space constraints.
- Compliance with Standards: If applicable, verify that the chosen jaw coupling meets industry or application-specific standards and regulations.
By taking these factors into account, engineers and designers can determine the appropriate jaw coupling size that will provide reliable and efficient power transmission in the specific application.
editor by CX 2023-08-07